10 Questions About Safety | Memory Care Q&A
Tennyson Court prides itself in being positioned in the top tier of WNY memory care facilities. One of the most important factors in choosing between buffalo memory care facilities is safety. Ensuring your loved one is safe means peace of mind for you.
Memory care becomes necessary when one cannot care for themselves without supervision, due to the degenerative effects of alzheimer’s and/or dementia. The emotional aspect of letting a loved one go into someone else’s care is hard enough. Therefore, when choosing between a multitude of buffalo memory care facilities, finding one that you KNOW your loved one is safe is extremely important.
Here are a few questions from A PLACE FOR MOM’s safety and staffing checklist for choosing between WNY memory care facilities.
1. How is the community secured? Secure buildings? Secure grounds?
- Yes, Tennyson Court memory care facilities are secured with delayed egress doors to prevent wandering, secured unit, as well as secured outdoor courtyard and patio.
2. What type of training does the staff have?
- Each Resident Care Aide and Nurse is required to complete comprehensive training on effectively and respectfully meeting the needs of residents with Dementia and Alzheimer’s.
3. What is the staffing ratio during the day? (number of residents per caregiver)
- Minimum of 1 aide to 7 residents on days and evenings.
4. What is the staffing ratio at night?
- 1 aide to 16 residents on nights
5. Does each resident have an individual care plan?
- Yes, upon choosing Tennyson court memory care facilities, your loved one will be provided a personalized care plan with our case manager, individualized and constantly updated to their personal needs.
6. How many hours is a nurse on duty, and what are those hours?
- All houses within the memory care facilities are supervised by an LPN and Dementia Care Supervisor
7. Is there a visiting physician?
- Mobile Primary Physician for optional on-site medical services.
8. What medical services are available?
- Optional on-site medical services by mobile primary, assistance with medication management, partner pharmacy (we order and manage medication delivery), Dental Care and Podiatrist available on-site by outside provider.
9. Are you able to care for residents who are physically aggressive or who exhibit disruptive behaviors?
- Yes. We offer a personalized care plan for each resident, based on their needs, memory boxes for room identification, encouragement for a multitude of activities, and a secured unit.
10. Can outside (visiting) care be arranged?
- Of Course! We take pride in establishing relationships with all of our residents, and their families/friends.